Race at the 2023 Festival in the Inner Harbour!
Paddles up in the Inner Harbour!
Registration is open! Race in the Inner Harbour with 2 days of races on August 12 – 13. Come race at the Canada Dry Victoria Dragon Boat Festival presented by Fairway Market, and enjoy one of Canada’s most scenic venues in the heart of Victoria.
The Festival welcomes a range of teams- both competitive and recreational- from communities around Vancouver Island, the Mainland, the Interior, and from around Washington, Oregon, and beyond.
Victoria’s Inner Harbour plays host to our event, and its scenic backdrop surrounds you as your team glides through the water to the finish line! Experience it yourself this year, and race with us!
If you’re coming for the first time and need information, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’d be happy to give you an extra hand!
Race registration open until July 28; don’t miss out!
We’re back to races on Saturday and Sunday in 2023! Register now and join in on the fun!
2023 Race Program
- Distance: As in previous years, ~470 M race course due to the requirements of the Inner Harbour as a working harbour and airstrip.
- Divisions: Mixed, Women
- Number of races: 4 races per team (2 heats Saturday, semi-final and final on Sunday)
- Equipment: All races are held with IDBF 1222 standard BuK boats seating 20 paddlers, a drummer, and steers.
- Blessing Ceremony: Saturday August 11 at 1:00 PM
- Flower Ceremony: TBA during Sunday morning break
- Please note: Due to the Inner Harbour’s unique nature, breaks are required in the morning and afternoon to allow for the arrival and departure of commuter ferries and airstrip movements. These breaks are built into the race schedule; thank you for your understanding.
Mixed or Women's Divisions: $1,495 + GST
Specialty Cup races are subject to additional fees, and will be announced closer to the Festival race date.
Refunds requested until May 31 are subject to a 25% holdback. No refunds are provided after this date. Transfers are subject to space availability and review, and may be subject to an additional fee if requested too close to the event.
Email email@example.com for assistance.
Waivers and Rosters
Waivers and rosters are completed digitally on register.dragonboatbc.ca. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for administrative assistance with your waivers and rosters.
Visiting Team Accommodation
Get a good night’s rest before you hit the water; we’ve got a range of hotels nearby so you can enjoy everything Victoria has to offer while you’re in town with us!
Looking for information on past race results and competitors? Visit our Festival archives to learn more about our paddling experience.
Have your team and yourself immersed in the full dragon boating experience! Take part in some or all of our activities, specially geared to build team culture, sportsmanship, and long-lasting connections! Below are snippets of our past events. Stay tuned for further details on what you can expect at the 2023 Festival.
Denny's Festival Breakfast
Don’t miss one of the Festival’s beloved traditions! Fill up for a day of races at Denny’s Festival Breakfast, served on Saturday and Sunday Morning. Enjoy eggs, proteins, pancakes, yogurt, fruit, and coffee by the main stage for just $7, and start your day off strong!
Denny’s Breakfast served until 11:00 AM Saturday and Sunday.
Breast Cancer Flower Ceremony and Honour Arch
Join us as we honour those that have battled, and continue to battle breast cancer at the Breast Cancer Survivor race, followed by the Flower Ceremony.
Breast cancer paddling started in Vancouver in 1996 thanks to work done by Dr. Don MacKenzie. From there, it’s spread across the world. We’re proud to bring this tradition to Victoria at the Festival.
Show your support by being part of our Honour Arch. All paddlers are invited to bring their teams and paddles to the dock exit and create a paddle arch for the survivors to process through at the end of the ceremony.
The top three finishers in each medal division earn medals. Medals will be awarded near the Main Stage! Stay tuned for details on this program.
Join a team or start your own- start your paddling journey here!
Did you know that Victoria is one of the few places in Canada that you can paddle all year round? Dragon boat is growing in Victoria, and there are dozens of teams training on our waterways. Join a team with VI Paddling or Victoria Canoe and Kayak Club this year.
Join a Team
- There are many teams in Victoria actively recruiting new members, plus new teams forming every year. From teams that are looking to race at a high competitive level, to community teams looking to race for fun, there’s a team out there for you to start with!
Start a Team
- Dragon boat offers a unique opportunity to bring together friends, employees, stakeholders, or communities through a fun team-building activity that includes everyone. With special emphasis on collaboration, communication, commitment and co-ordination, the lessons learned on the water have impact far beyond the finish line.
Click below to learn how to start your own team or join an existing team with some of Victoria’s local dragon boat clubs!